*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/6/2003, 17:29

Araiso Private High School Student Council) Executive Committee 2
Author: Minekura Kazuya
Imprint: Chara Comics
Publisher: Tokuma Shoten
ISBN: 4-7575-0503-5

Reviewed by Jeanne

The second volume of Araiso Private Highschool Student Council Executive Committee consists of one long story in seven chapters, and an unrelated story from a different Minekura series entirely. It also actually has something to do with the student council, for a wonder.

That's because Matsumoto, the council head, has asked Kubota to start going over some oddities in the student council's finances with the treasurer Fujiwara. (If ExecCttee's main characters are their Saiyuuki brothers seen in a drug dream, then short, blond, seductive and malicious Fujiwara is Sanzou. Sanzou getting his a/u comeuppance, let it be said at once.) Besotted and confident Fujiwara is going to take Kubota away from Tokitoh, Tokitoh is furious at seeing Kubota serenely playing along with the interloper, and the Fujiwara/Kubo-chan arc of the story reaches its conclusion, only to reveal another story inside, and another inside that, like a bunch of nesting boxes. The set-up fight staged to get the ExecCttee suspended from their duties temporarily- the plot behind that to discredit the present Student Council- the true goal of the mastermind behind the plot- everything follows in order as we get closer and closer to the heart of the matter.

Alas, we never do get to see what's in the smallest box in the centre, which is the truth of the past relationship between the coolly manipulative but on-the-side-of-the-angels Matsumoto and the poker-face 'ally of justice' Kubota. We hear that they were in junior high together, that they were on the jr. high's Executive Cttee together ('There *was* one?' Tokitoh wonders in understandable bemusement), but we never learn what the 'debt' is that Kubota says he owes Matsumoto, nor why, as Matsumoto's gorgeous and usually silent assistant Tachibana says, Kubota's the one person in the world Matsumoto doesn't want to have against him. We're put off with a gag explanation no-one is going to buy for a minute.

Meanwhile the homoerotic air just goes on getting thicker and thicker. Tachibana makes barbed little comments about Kubota, Matsumoto quietly goads Tokitoh into an explosion, jealousy and unspoken feelings simmer gently in the background of this ostensibly humorous story. Even more when the former friends meet face to face. "We suspect Fujiwara's been embezzling from the Student Council," Matsumoto says to Kubota in an early flashback. "And you want me to get close to him so he'll give himself away?" Kubota answers, "--Since you know you're the one person I won't ever say no to. Right, council president?" "Charmless as ever," Matsumoto smiles, with an edge, "aren't you-- *Makoto*." Suggestiveness has rarely been done so-- suggestively.

What we do get to see, a lot of, is Tokitoh and his vanity and his 'ore no besuto furendo' attitude to Kubota. Tastes vary, but Tokitoh I could rather do without. In a humorous series like this you don't expect the characters to have much depth, but with Minekura one does expect them to resonate. Kubota resonates all over the place, as taciturn characters will, striking archetypal chords in lovely harmony. Matsumoto resonates, with his unreadable smile and his friend-or-foe ambivalence and his tantalizing past history. Matsumoto's quiet bespectacled eminence grise Tachibana resonates. (Learn this Seishinja picture-reading point now: in Minekura, the guy in the unbuttoned white shirt is the seme.) But Tokitoh is just-- a classic shounen manga hero: otoko-rashii and hot-headed and loud-mouthed and terribly transparent-sunao-sincere. (Which is why it's odd to hear him referring to himself as the world's no.1 bishounen. Bishounen are supposed to have an array of soft and dewy-eyed beautiful boy behaviours to go with the soft dewy-eyed face.) Compared to his other Minekuran avatars, Gojyo and Kenren, he seems a very much younger brother, lacking the wistfulness that softens the posturings of the former and the underlying seriousness that gives weight to the latter. There hasn't been enough Wild Adapter Tokitoh to see if he's any different, but we may hope he improves when put into a film noir context. And meanwhile, what *I'd* like to see is some good Kubota/Matsumoto yaoi, that would decide the vexed question of which was seme and whether *that* had anything to do with the present distance between them. (Moushikashite-- could it be??- that neither is seme?)

Minekura ended ExecCttee with the announcement that she, and her characters, were going on, or back, to Wild Adapter. She mentions, as she did in vol 1, that the whole idea of EC owes to the fact that she was once on an exec.cttee at her school whose members behaved rather like this one- 'cut classes, only showed up after school- I found them endlessly fascinating.' She also adds an intriguing note that I take to mean 'Many people have said EC is the series that most resembles me, character-wise.' Minekura said in a Puff interview once that she grew up playing with boys and thought of herself as one of the guys until the inevitable puberty showed her otherwise. Me, I have a feeling that Tokitoh and Kubota are Minekura's male alter egos- the guys she'd have been if she'd been a guy. Or rather, I think Tokitoh is who she'd have been and Kubota is who she'd like to have been. But that's another article for another time.

http://www.aestheticism.com/visitors/manga...ttee2/index.htm
thx

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/6/2003, 18:00

naturalmenta la REi dovrà tradurre tutto il malloppazzo -ovvero tutta la vicenda dei3manga-

grazie tata=*

gh

SACCHAN
view post Posted on 26/6/2003, 21:28

QUOTE (*Yao* @ 26/6/2003, 16:38)
QUOTE (SACCHAN @ 26/6/2003, 09:44)
^^" me nn ha capito il tuo post Yao

eheheheheh io ho altri scan del manga
una volta kubota stava tentando di ehm diciamo avvicinarsi ehm a tokito
solo ke erano a scuola XD

INVIA!LE VOGLIO!!!!
Ah se volete la trama la traduco io ^^<---x savolta potrei essere io???visto che la rei è occupata in un layaut x il mio blog HAHAHAHAHA

Sapete cosa significa la frase che su 3/4 delle immy si legge cioè:

I forgive everything about you
I shall become you god
This is your heaven so
If you die,I will kill you      

SIGNIFICA:
Io perdonerò qualsiasi cosa tu faccia o abbia fatto.(a scelta di traduzione che hai fatto o che farai)
Io diventerò il tuo dio.
Così diverrò il tuo paradiso.
E se vorrai morire,sarò io ad ucciderti

X me è Makoto che la dice a Minoru(tokito e Kubota sono i cognomi xkè si trova Tokuto Minoru e in genere si mette prima il cognome ^^)
IMMY FATTA DA ME X LA FIRM

Attached Image: untitled.jpg

untitled.jpg

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/6/2003, 21:36

QUOTE (SACCHAN @ 26/6/2003, 20:42)
QUOTE (*Yao* @ 26/6/2003, 16:38)
QUOTE (SACCHAN @ 26/6/2003, 09:44)
^^" me nn ha capito il tuo post Yao

eheheheheh io ho altri scan del manga
una volta kubota stava tentando di ehm diciamo avvicinarsi ehm a tokito
solo ke erano a scuola XD

INVIA!LE VOGLIO!!!!
Ah se volete la trama la traduco io ^^<---x savolta potrei essere io???visto che la rei è occupata in un layaut x il mio blog HAHAHAHAHA

yeap, s lo so ke sn i cognomi ^_- eheh
uhm purtroppo nn le ho qui le tavole, le avevo prese da 1 sito -tradotte in inglese- ^^
sorry^^"

ok, traduci^.^ basta ke traduka qlkuno=P io nn ho voglia d sbattermi su 3 volumi =_=
;_____; io il blog alla fine me lo son fatta da sola

E RIKORDATEEEE
KUBOTA è IL RAGASSHUOLO + -prekoce- SINCERO DEEEL MONDOOOOOOOOOOOOO

°+*Dark Angel*+°
view post Posted on 7/7/2003, 13:44

Io ho trovato 1 shrine su stigma..................è tutto in tedesco,ma vi dò un aiutino^_-
Sito di stigma
Sito per la traduzione

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/7/2003, 16:42

=D°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

user posted image
pucci tokito

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/7/2003, 16:43

ghgh

user posted image

bus gamer :3

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/7/2003, 16:45

MA KE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLIIIIIIIIIII

LI VOGLIOOOOOOOOOO

user posted image

GLI STICK DEFORMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/7/2003, 16:46

ghghghghg
lo voiooooooo

user posted image

user posted image

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/7/2003, 16:49

ahaha x la seria
è inverno e gojyo sta bene kosì XD sì XD

user posted image

°+*Dark Angel*+°
view post Posted on 26/7/2003, 17:44

XD
Sembra che venga dalla notte di ferragosto

*Yao*
view post Posted on 26/7/2003, 19:23

mwbuuahahahahaha? XD

*Yao*
view post Posted on 23/8/2003, 04:52

Author: Minekura Kazuya
Imprint: STC (Stencil Comics)
Publisher: Enix
ISBN: 4-7575-0503-5

Reviewed by Jeanne

It's not that Minekura tries to make her titles hard for gaijin to understand. It's just that her titles are hard for gaijin to understand. 'Bus Gamer.' Sounds like London schoolboys trying to find the cheapest fare from Hounslow to Surbiton or seeing who can spot the most B5 route buses or something. But then you notice the katakana version of the thing is Bizu Geimaa (is why the Japanese clerk didn't know what I meant when I asked in proper katakana for basu geimaa.) And there are no buses at all in the book. So how come...? Because the bus of the title is not an autobus, it's short for business. Useless to protest that you can't shorten the English word that way without altering the sound. The comeback is that this bus isn't an English word, it's how you write the short form of bizunesu in romaji. Tell you, there are times I could cry.
But to continue. If you go by the comments at the back of Minekura's Backgammon illustration books, it seems all her main series began life as doujinshis. Saiyuuki, Wild Adapter, Bus Gamer, even Executive Committee- all have doujinshi illustrations dating from the mid-90's, four or five years before they ever saw the magazine page. There's a little story at the end of this volume about her pulling out the first episode of BG for publication, that she'd drawn two and a half years earlier, and taking to her bed at sight of her outdated art style. "And that's why the characters' vital statistics as given here are a bit different from the ones in Backgammon I." And why they look a bit different too. Just in case anyone was wondering about that.

So what we have to start with is a 'business game', played by bored executives in high-power corporations with too much money. They put all their most crucial information on a minidisk and hire a three-man team to protect it from the other company's team that's trying to steal it. The protecting team is 'Home', the invading team is 'Away', the matches have time limits, and the team members are rewarded handsomely with quite stunning amounts of money. Only, in the first episode our team guys (the undefeated AAA team) discover that guys who lose maybe wind up dead in the harbor. A coincidence, surely, they try to convince themselves. Umm- no. Next match someone on the defeated team dies in front of their eyes, killed by some kind of remote control. Our three guys, strangers to each other and only in the game because of a pressing and private need for money, begin to realize that maybe there's more to this than a bunch of crazy execs throwing their money away, and that if so, they themselves have only each other to count on.

(Follows semi-spoilers. Skip if intending to read the book.)

This is not the easiest information for them to digest. All three are loners. The youngest and sunaoest (no don't ask me to translate sunao- open, readable, sincere, anh, I don't know- *sunao*) is Saitoh Kazuo, the blond with the glasses. Nineteen, highschool student, orphaned as an infant, adopted at age six by an electrician, and preparing happily to follow in his father's footsteps. We, and a mysterious commenting voice who seems to be watching the guys on close-circuit TV, wonder why he needs sums of several hundred thousand dollars at a time. We see him reading a letter from someone he thinks of as Sensei, who addresses him as Kazuo-kun- as a teacher from grade school might do- assuring him that she and hers are well and he mustn't worry. Which seems to confirm his need to worry about her. "I'm doing the only thing I can."

The oldest of the three, Nakajo Nobuto, seems to need his fortune for women, or possibly a woman. He's the dark-haired one with the long hair in his eyes and the incipient chinbeard. (Let me say now, I've rarely had so much trouble keeping names and characters straight. May be just that the names are so very mundane they make no impression at all.) He's 22, lives alone, attends a trade school, and spends his spare time teaching shogi, the Japanese version of checkers (and not nearly as high-class as go, the Japanese version of chess.) Possibly more to the point, he was expelled from his high school for getting involved with a gang, and if I'm reading this correctly, the suggestion is his home background is petty criminal as well. The notes about him comment that he's the most neutral of the bunch, able to maintain just the right distance from people, but possibly capable of changing sides if it's in his interest. 'Put nicely, he's objective; not so nicely, he's just cold.' 'Could be the most dangerous of the three.'

Certainly the most mysterious is Mishiba Toki, the one with the weird clothes and the short red hair that doesn't show up as red in the b&w illustrations. (The one who starts by wearing a boot on his head and ends wearing a cowboy hat. Boy needs someone to dress him.) Twenty years old, attending a design school in Tokyo, master of the fighting arts. Three years ago his parents, who ran a dojo, disappeared suddenly along with his twin brother. Since then he's spent all his spare time working to earn money. He's the one who has the strange dream where he's sitting with someone called Shigi under the hanged bodies of a man and a woman. Toki means 'ibis. Shigi means 'kingfisher. Brothers, definitely. 'Toki, do you care about me?' 'Of course I do. There's just the two of us.' 'True. Just the two of us. So I've a request to make. Buy me for the night.' But this Shigi, whom Toki at one point thought he'd seen in the streets of Tokyo, turns out to be a rotting corpse.

Not enough mystery for you? There's more. Financial institutions are going bankrupt one after another, and being taken over by the insurance company who backs the AAA team. A result of the Bus Gamer game? Our guys feel they're being watched, and Toki finds bugs in his room. Two different kinds, Saitoh the electrician's kid points out, in a room so small only one would be necessary. So they're being watched by at least two different outfits. There's our mysterious commenting voice and his TV sets, which may belong to whoever orchestrates the whole Bus Gamer game itself. And there's something called Team Bug, whose leader seems to be a kid called Jun'ichi who has the run of a prison somewhere. The warden's son, they call him, though why a kid is able to threaten inmates with moving up the day of their execution is anyone's guess. Because this isn't an ordinary prison, maybe? The other two are his bodyguards, or possibly inmates of the prison itself-- the guy with bandaids on his face and the guy with the glasses and dreadlocks. (Though if Bandaids is a prisoner, what's he doing in episode 1, running into our guys in a park zone and telling them Bus Gamer isn't a game?) Team Bug is employed by the Bus Gamer administration itself. And these guys have access to the TVs that watch the AAA team, where they watch the match that ends volume one. And they're going to take the team on at some point in future. And maybe we'll get answers to all our mysteries, and maybe we won't.

There's a thing mangaka do a lot, which is called following their noses. As in, "I don't know where this story is going, I'm just following my nose." They start with an idea of what's going to happen, maybe even a specific notion of what the end will be, but then they get into the swing of things or the series becomes too popular and the mangaka just wanders onwards, throwing in random elements and the kitchen sink as the whim takes her. (Think Angel Sanctuary for a notorious example.) I won't say that mangaka who game are more likely to do this than others, if only because it looks like all mangaka game and many mangaka incorporate the randomness of games into their stories. But Bus Gamer gives me the sinking sensation of being a follow my nose series. I won't bet that we ever find out what's going on, not least because BG may have been a victim of the palace revolution at Enix, which saw Minekura and several other mangaka leave that publisher and take their series with them. There's been no word yet of her continuing it elsewhere.

And anyway the various plot devices may not be what appeals to Minekura about the series in the first place. Minekura's forte is the way guy-guys express their feelings, or come to actually have feelings for other guys. Her characters aren't those perfect BL men who already speak the language of the emotions fluently. Usually they're hiding behind some macho-ish façade, presenting a face of indifference to the world. Gradually they come to feel an attachment to someone else, however casually they express it. And that's what happens here, where the cold Nakajo and the closed-up tight Toki start coming out of their shells when they realize that their lives, and the young uninhibited Saitoh's, are in danger. I suppose it's to see what happens among the three of them that I hope Bus Gamer continues.

*Yao*
view post Posted on 23/8/2003, 05:11

mishiba *ç* nobuto *Q*

Attached Image: busgamer6.jpg

busgamer6.jpg

30 replies since 24/6/2003, 12:12   244 views